We are a high-growth FinTech startup using data and machine learning to revolutionise the insurance industry. You will be joining an established team, working to build products that are fundamentally changing the way insurers see the world, enabling them to move from an assumption based understanding of risk, to an empirical, data-driven view.
What working as a Data Scientist at Cytora looks like:
At Cytora’s custom deployments team, you will be working in an interdisciplinary team with data scientists, actuaries, data researchers, and software engineers. We are responsible for existing live products and for supporting other teams efforts to crack a new customer. Our aim is to make sure that our live products, e.g. predictions of expected fire losses based on population wide data, used by international insurers, are reliable and useful for our customers. This involves data exploration, model prototyping, testing and collecting customer feedback, preferably in a ship fast and iterate manner, always with the end-user in mind. It also involves models maintenance and support for other teams as we are the go-to-team for any question related to our live product offering.
As a data scientist at Cytora, you will be sharing and discussing relevant subjects in our weekly data science assembly with your fellow data scientists and actuaries. You will contribute by researching new techniques and approaches and keep up to date with the scientific literature and share those findings our monthly data science workshops. As part of the data science team you will benefit from the advice and guidance of our scientific advisors, including professors of Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing from the University of Cambridge.
What we are looking for in candidates:
- Proven experience as a Data Scientist.
- Ability to perform exploratory data analysis, draw insights from noisy data when facing open ended problems and impact the future of the product.
- Good understanding of various machine learning approaches, in particular GLMs and gradient boosting methods, but also the trade-offs between machine learning and rules based models.
- Experience with Python and common data science libraries (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn), version control (Git) and unix based systems.
- Experience with production environments where data science applications were deployed and served to customers live.
- Ambition to work in a fast moving environment
- Willingness to share knowledge with peers, problem-solving and inquisitive mind and a self-starter attitude.
- Communication skills to present technical results in front of internal and external stakeholders.
- Understanding of risk models used in insurance or credit scoring.
- Familiarity with GCP or other cloud computing providers.
- Private Health Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Training & Development
- Stock Options
Cytora transforms underwriting for business insurance. The Cytora Risk Engine uses artificial intelligence to learn the patterns of risks over time, enabling insurers to improve profitability and deliver fairer prices to their customers.
At Cytora, you’ll have access to a network of world-class business minds and academics from leading global institutions. We celebrate originality and independent thinking, and work in decentralised teams, giving people the authority to own and solve problems creatively. You’ll be offered a competitive salary and share options, augmented by our private health insurance. To learn more about our culture and benefits visit our careers page:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.